Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

About Us

Wolstanton High Street Club is a friendly, local venue which provides comfort and entertainment to many. We have been in the heart of Wolstanton village since 1916 and continue to serve the community. With a wide range of beers and other refreshments, we are the perfect venue to relax and unwind at the end of the day. We offer great entertainment in our concert room on Saturday nights, as well as Rock 'n' Roll Fridays with our regular DJs - Cadillac Dave, Dancing Dave and J.D.

Our fully air-conditioned bar hosts many of the major sporting events that feature on both SKY andf BT Sports. Guests can also use our darts facilities or enjoy a game of snooker in our specially designed snooker room with a full size, fully maintained table.

To the rear of the club is a large crown bowling green. This is fully maintained and open between April and September. A nominal charge is made for use by members. If you would like to join one of the established teams, information is available from the Club Secretary Mr Brian Skelton, Club Treasurer Sylvia Skelton or Joe Melvin (Bowls Secretary).

History of the Club


Wolstanton HSC is still known by the original name of the property, Chetwynd House. This house overlooked High Street, Wolstanton. Sales particulars advertising the sale of the household furniture, greenhouse plants and general effects at Chetwynd House in 1878 indicate the splendour of some of the furnishings. Glass china, china vases, oil paintings, water colour drawings, carpets and hearthrugs, genders and firearms are all mentioned, as are rare plants and ferns. Hot-houses were attached to the house and trees were planted to the front and rear.


In the 1891 Census, Arthur Shorter, earthenware manufacturer, is listed as living at Chetwynd House with his wife, six children and two servants. One of the sons was Colley Shorter, who was later head of the household himself. He was to earn fame as the Managing Director of Wilkinson’s Pottery in Middleport and later, the husband of ceramics designer Clarice Cliff.


In the 1920s, Colley Shorter decided to sell his home to a group of men who, up until then, had been meeting at premises in West View, Porthill from 1916. These premises became affiliated to the CIU in 1917, and the workingmens’ club was born. Its officers were Arthur Kind (president) and Tom Tylor (secretary), and the first steward was Jack Holmes. The members were men from the Independent Labour Party. Bill Gibson, Fred Hassall, Arthur Downing and W. A. Knowles were also among the early club pioneers. Shorter sold the property for £3,500, the members securing a loan from the brewers John Joules and Sons Ltd. In due course, the new club was opened in Chetwynd House.


Afterwards, a bowling green was established to the rear. The green was opened on August 4th, 1928 by the President, Mr J. Lindop and Mr W. H. Machin.
Bowls Histroy


During the club’s infancy, lecturers from the Workers’ Educational Association often game lectures at the club emphasising its links with the Labour movement. The club did not admit women members until 1945. Trading conditions were adverse for many years, but with clubs elsewhere booming, the committee decided to take a gamble and approach the brewery for the sum of £7,000 in order to make alterations. The brewery agreed.


In 1955, the local press reported on the opening of a new concert room, built at a cost of £6,000. This was opened by the Mayor of Newcastle, Miss Ethel Shaw. Among the club officials present were E. Whittingham (president), W. Etheridge (vice-president), Councillor H. Shufflebottom (secretary) and L. Whittingham (treasurer). With the building of the new extension, the club’s frontal boundary wall was removed to make way for a car park. Tuesday night dances became popular in the new room.


In 1957, a further £1,000 was spent on alterations to the bar. Further alterations were made over the years, notably in 1966, when the old concert room and games room upstairs was made into living quarters for the club steward. The press reported that “A first class concert room has now been added with dressing rooms, toilets and a well-planned stage. A modern bar dominates the palatial lounge.


Wolstanton WMC was refurbished and officially re-opened in September, 2005, with a brand new fascia sign advertising beers from Coors. Through the years, the Bowls section became an essential part of club activity, with Harry Johnson, the Rileys (Bill, Deryk and Maurice), Alan Bucknall and others making their mark.

Meet the Team

Wolstanton High Street Club Committee Members & Staff

Brian Skelton

Club Secretary

Sylvia Skelton

Club Treasurer

Dennis Green

Club President

Barry Stanway

Club Vice-President

Mark Olszewski

Committee Member

Jackie Olszewski

Committee Member

Adam Ravenscroft

Committee Member

Sophie Ravenscroft

Committee Member

John Sutton

Committee Member

Lee Thursfield

Committee Member

Trevor Burton

Committee Member

Keith Archer

Committee Member

Joe Melvin

Committee Member

Jamie Hughes

Bar Manager